Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Smucksville

My funny bones got a big, huge tickle this morning.  I'm out there on the porch at around 5 a.m. this morning and I said to myself Holy Smucksville, darn cold out here today; then I giggled and thought about the word smucksville. 

I once had the spellcheck turned on the computer but everytime I went to type the word smucksville it would try to correct me because obviously smucksville to them is not a word.  Well, little do they know.  In the language of this writer, smucksville is a word.

When I came back inside, I decided I should check out the word smucksville on the computer.  Way more giggles came.  I selected 'images' and as if by magic or remote control up pop images of John Prine.  Notations of this blog (oh my stomach hurts from thinking this thing over). 

Smucksville came to be because I did not want to use curse words in front of the grandkids.  Hence, smucksville was invented. 

There are several places/towns/cities that end in ville.  Fogelsville where Sue Umbrella resides.  Martinsville where Peaceful Waters resides.  Barkerville, a place just north of me - once was a gold rush town.  Lots of villes.

Perhaps, today when you all are rushing around doing your business and something goes a miss for you - think of smucksville - then giggle :)

Have a wonderful, smucksville day!

Credit for some words (but not smucksville) ~ John Prine

3 comments:

  1. I like your word, Bev. I have Google images open in another window right now, and you're right - all paths lead directly back to you. Smucksville is part of your legacy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lori. I never, in my wild dreams expected to leave the legacy of Smucksville! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...