Friday, November 25, 2011

Christmas Baking - Fruit and Nut Bars

Great Recipe!

Good lord, I bake so much stuff at christmas time, I enjoy it.  I give christmas goody boxes to my good neighbors - I love seeing the big smiles on their faces when they receive.  This year my baking for christmas is:  Fruit and Nuts Bars, Butter Tarts, Melting Moments, Sugar Cookie Presents, and Peanut Butter Creams.  They'll probably be some extras tossed in; I will be baking for the annual ladies Christmas party and also for the Christmas Bingo.

This is the first time I made this recipe and I would make it again.  I thought it would be too sweet as one ingredient is a can of condensed milk.  It is not too sweet, just right.  Here is the recipe:

Fruit and Nuts Bars
(makes 48 squares)

2 cups Flour
3/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups salted mixed Nuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup mixed dried Fruit, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 flaked Coconut
2 tablespoons Flour
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened Condensed Milk

Heat oven to 350.  Grease 13 x 9 x 2 with shortening.  Mix 2 cups flour, brown sugar, and butter in large bowl with fork until crumbly.  Press firmly in bottom of pan.

Mix remaining ingredients in same bowl, spoon onto crust and spread evenly.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool completely, about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...