Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Singing

Do any of you folks get two songs stuck in your brain and sing them together? This happens to me all the time. For two days now I have had a Bruce Springsteen song and a Diana Ross and the Supremes song rumbling around - it turns out this way . . .

I can't believe what you say
No I can't believe what you say
Oh babe
Oh the pain, the pain

The Bruce Springsteen song is Fade Away or I Don't Want To Fade Away (something like that - if I was not so lazy, I would check) - but I think you are receiving the wave length. The Diana Ross and the Supremes song is Reflections. I can have five songs rolling at one time in my brain from Hank Williams to Hendrix. Sometimes it is only one song but I sing it three different ways. Take City of New Orleans written by Steve Goodman. I like to sing that song - doing Sammi Smith, Steve Goodman, and Arlo Guthrie.

Then, comes the American National Anthem. I like the melody to the song, it is a hard song to sing. I think at one time it was a believable song, but not so much today. Our Canadian Anthem is much easier to sing - well, not in french though. I only and will always sing the English version.

I enjoy to sing. I even put words to songs that have no words. For instance, the theme song from The Waltons (I love that show). Some songs to which I have no clue what the words are, well I make them up.

When I turned six years old (I started school when I was five), my Mom received a telephone call from my teacher, Miss Ongman. She greeted my Mom, said she had a question about your daughter. Mom became quite alarmed (of course, I did not know this until several years later) and inquired what is the problem? Miss Ongman replied - no problem - I would like your daughter to sing a christmas carol at the christmas concert, solo - would that be ok for you? My Mom laughed and said, of course it would be fine.

We had a trial run. Miss Ongman played the piano. All went well. The day of the christmas concert, I was introduced as was the song I was to sing - Away In A Manger. I walked up to my masking tape 'X' , with my hands together, bowed to the audience and started to sing. I wanted to see my Mom and Dad and spotted them, I did not break in the song, I simply raised my left hand up and waved to them. My Dad waved back. I bowed after my song and left the stage. My introduction to stardom came and left within five minutes.

I continued to sing in several christmas concerts, I loved doing that. Here, on the mountain side well, I sing to the animals. We have regulars that come, they know my voice. I think they are beginning to understand some of my favorite songs. Who would have thought!



1 comment:

  1. What better tunes to have running through your head than Diana Ross and / or The Supremes!

    Please check out Dick's Diana Ross Website at:
    http://raketler.angelfire.com

    Thanx!

    ReplyDelete

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...