Saturday, August 29, 2009

Plumbing, Pipefitting, and I Kind Of Need My Dad...

Yesterday noisemaker awoke and announced that perhaps we should install the new toilet today. Oh lordy, I thought, but went with it because it sounded better than cleaning the abode.

My Dad was a plumber/pipefitter, sometimes he would let me help him. I love it! As we were removing the old toilet, noisemaker left to get something, I do not know a tool I think. Anyway, I am nuts, bolts, washers - thinking to myself - well, hell, I can remove these and proceeded. Noisemaker returns and we get the New Marina out. Things are going very well for us. The time comes where Noisemaker has to replace the nuts, bolts, and assorted 'other' things I removed. He asks me, where did you get this from - yep, like I am going to remember that. I guessed, I had no idea where the hell I got it from. I only know plumping/pipefitting to take off things, I never got to put them back on - my Dad always did that. Alas, we made it. The New Marina looks very nice and I'll be damned we never had a leak. My Dad is very proud of me.

Today - we are fixing the hot water tank. At the beginning I just did some clean up and re-arranged items so Noisemaker could fit in that space to work. He decided to go to the general store left me with hot water tank. I bet you he was not out of the driveway and there I am with flashlight in hand looking down this pipe. The pipe is all filled up with little rocks, etc., I found that out because I shoved the screwdriver down it and stuff starting falling out. I looked at the threads around the pipe and thought this is not right. So I clean it up with a little screwdriver, I got lots of stuff. At the end, I came to this piece of thing, I did not know what it was. However, I pushed at it with great strength and the damn thing came off. I knew well from yesterday's toilet experience, to put it right back the best I could and I did.

Noisemaker arrives home and I tell him there is something not right with that pipe, let me show you. We go to the tank - it is a tight squeeze and we are not big folks. I explain what I have done but do not tell him about what I did with the piece at the end (previously). I have my screwdriver there and I said, look now if I pop this out it will come, I know it. He replies, oh do not screw it up ... blah, blah, blah. 'Too late, I popped it out - look'. I went on to say I cannot understand why is that piece there, what do you call that? He says - ferrule, I reply - . .... .
F A I R E L L E (so typical female). He spells it backs to me. In giggle mode, I reply, I must break now all these f words are just too much for me.

Stay tuned for part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...