Friday, September 21, 2012

John Prine - Silhouette

John Prine - Silhouette
 
As mentioned in previous post, we were in town yesterday - Noisemaker had a doctors' appointment.  He attended and was sent to the hospital for tests.  It is nothing of a serious nature only; but does have to be dealt with.  We arrived at the hospital to find it will be approximately a 2 1/2 hour wait.  My word, my Noisemaker is not a happy camper.  I sat with him for awhile then said, I am going to take a walk.  It is beautiful fall weather here.  I wandered around the grounds of the hospital; then to the van, I was set to have a cigarette.  There was a fellow two vehicles down from me; he was having a cigarette also, I thought to myself - ah, lip flappin' time.
 
I went over and said hello; talked about the weather.  He mentioned he was waiting for his wife, who like Noisemaker was in for tests.  My lip flappin' was going very well with my hospital ground acquaintance, a gentleman about 73 or so.  As we were chatting he asked me - what is that pin you are wearing, what does that mean?  (The pin I have attached to my jean jacket is pictured above - The Silhouette made by Charlene Stevenson).  Well, I tell you the lip flappin' went into overdrive.  I said, well this is a pin all the way from Wisconsin, my girlfriend makes these.  This is a silhouette of a folk/country singer named John Prine.  Have you heard of him?  He replies no, I have not but maybe I could asked my grandkids or kids if they have.  I went on to say, John Prine is much a storyteller and his words/music are enjoyed by many a Prine folk.  I remembered I am wearing my Prine t-shirt - my I heart Johnny.  I whip my jacket opened and say oh eh, look at my t-shirt.  He man started to laugh, he says, you must really appreciate this mans music.  I do, I do - I replied.  We laughed.  A few minutes later, I said I best go check in on my husband.  I told him, I will return and thank you so much for chatting with me.
 
I get back to the hospital, there is my Noisemaker sitting there but not looking as miserable as what he did when I left.  He is next on the list - oh happy days.  I told Noisemaker, I will sit with you until you have to go in, then I will meet you back at the van.  oh teehee, there is a gentleman out there, I am telling him all about John Prine!  Noisemaker shook his head, I laughed and off I went.
 
I see my gentleman lip flapper waiting by his car, I walk over and start lip flappin' with him.  I told him, you know you quite made my day, passing time waiting for our spouses to finish up in the hospital - it was so nice to talk with you.  He agreed.  I looked up and thought I saw the Noisemaker coming, I said - oh the first is my husband...he looked at me strange.  I looked again, I said, oh no, it is the second husband.  He looked at me and said, how many husbands do you have?  I near laughed myself silly.  Neither of the men were the Noisemaker. 
 
It took me a bit to regain and regroup - lip flap somemore.  ah, then strolls the real Noisemaker.  Oh, I said - here comes my husband.  giggle, giggled my first husband, my only husband.
 
I thanked the gentleman once again for making my day brighter.  He thanked me and we departed.
 
It was enjoyable to have some good giggling lip flappin' time with a gentleman, a perfect stranger and of course, to peddle Prine.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. JP Paradise, your blog entries are gems, especially this one. I just love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Scott. I find pure enjoyment in doing this blog - pure enjoyment like I find peddling Prine. (giggle, giggle).

    ReplyDelete

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...