Saturday, August 7, 2010

It Has Been Awhile

Oh my goodness, it has been awhile since I last posted. I have been busy lip flappin', toe tappin', and cow chasin'. My seasonal neighborette was to visit; we had such a good time drinkin' beer on the porch, giggling our silly heads off. I have not giggled that much in a long, long time.

The cows have had me our guard for days. Smucksville, one afternoon Noisemaker looked out the front room window, lordy there must have been 25 cows out there. I was closer to the door, so I went running and yelling, with stick in hand. No movement did the cows make. I only had my slippers on; Noisemaker came to take over. Too funny, just as he got them all to move along the big black one took the biggest dump. Thank god it was Noisemaker out there chasing, because I would have been a goner. That crap was everywhere, it was flying. The cows, finally crossed over, up the hill, - have mercy I have not seen one today.

Of course, with all the cow sh*t, the damn crows come. I chase them too. With the crows/birds come the two domesticated cats. I chase them too. Just when I return to the home and get myself sat down, a knock is at the door. I look out the window, my word - it is Chris, my fine neighbor. I told Noisemaker, it is Chris - you deal with him and I fled the scene.

After Noisemaker dealt with the heathen of Chris, he came back in the house. I said to him, you know Noisemaker, we have the 4 C's. We have crows, cows, cats, and Chris and god knows, we chase them all.

Many deer have been around, but geez, they are not well in the head - they seem to have lost some marbles up there. I think they are skittish due to all the forest fires we have surrounding us. One day a nice looking doe came up the path, she stopped dead in her tracks and snorted. I never heard a deer snort in my life. I thought it to be unusual and unsafe, I went back to the porch and watched. She stamped her feet and snorted again. Then, she raced about 30', stopped dead in her tracks and did the same thing; and bolted.

Because I have never seen deer do this, I researched it. The articles I read claimed the doe was alerting other deer, other animals of immediate danger. The only thing out there was me - and I swear, I pose no danger to anything. The only thing I can think of was prior to the doe coming across the creek, she met up with a cougar. Just above our property is a ridge, it is called Cougar Ridge by the locals; a route to which the cougars have taken for years.

The other strange thing that has happened in the past two days is the amount of birds that have had a collision with our windows. Not one died, but stunned for about twenty minutes.

Last but not least, John Prine is in Canada. He performed at the Regina Folk Festival and on the 8th of August will be performing at the Edmonton Folk Festival. I gave him the Paradise Wave and will do the same tomorrow. Oh Johnny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...