Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Day Must Get Better

Smucksville, I have not had a very good morning. I had a major tanglement with the woodstove this morning. Noisemaker had built a fire just after midnight, so this morning I did not have to build until around 6:30 a.m. I placed the wood in the woodstove, as I always do - normally. The third piece of wood was too heavy for me (using one hand), I knew this piece was going to cause me nothing but grieve. However, I proceeded with my day and my lady bug chores. Great christ - the next thing I knew the woodstove is in bloody rage, lord I thought it was going to explode. I ran and awoke noisemaker....I should have been singing noisemaker, noisemaker, I have a complaint - The woodstove is too hot and coolin' down, it ain't.

Noisemaker calmed me. It took about two hours to cool it down. I should never have placed the third piece of wood in the woodstove. You live and learn. I am on the big curve of learning about wood and woodstoves.

Now I must go to shovel the flakes that the snowgod left overnight for me. We have near 200' of shovelling area (god, help me). I was about 3/4 through when noisemaker came to my rescue, he finished it off.

I had a letter to post so I walked up to the postbox and here comes the plough boys, two of them doing about 80 miles an hour. The snow is flying everywhere, lord they are going to drown me. I launched, near went airborne and wedge myself by the mailbox. After they passed by, I went full blasting down the road, arms waving, lips flapping - I was cursing up a storm. I had thoughts they had buried my driveway.

But eh, oh no - they were blasting up the snow off my driveway, my dear plough boys!

I start my walk to get home...some guy driving a ski-doo, wearing a Daniel Boone hat (I am thinking to myself...lord, have mercy on my soul). He has launched, he is way up their near the clouds. I have no time for this, I want to get home. Then, I see my next venture of the day, my fine, fine neighbor Chris. He asks do I have a cigarette (I do not)...do I have any beer (I do not)...Chris, I said - look I have not had a great morning, leave me alone now, I need peace. Happy New Year - I am going home.

Home is where I am, I am calm now - all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...