Thursday, October 22, 2009

John Prine - Vancouver - Incidentals

Before I slip away off to Winnipeg - Prine (that is just for you, Mr. & Mrs. Skunkeye) I wanted to give note to a few incidentals from Vancouver - Prine.

Sara Watkins - see more at
www.sarawatkins.com

She was pretty good. One of the songs Sara sang was Early Morning Rain by Gordon Lightfoot. I clapped hard at that song, she played it well and it was a good choice, Canadian material. Her instrumental playing is good/secure. She fumbles around a bit with the microphone and she does, like John Prine - have nice boots!

John Prine, his voice was on tap. I should sit and have a beer with that fellow, but geez my time does not permit. Jason Wilber, his guitar playing on Angel From Montgomery was outstanding. Jason's ability to catch every flicker, every nod from John Prine - he does well. The elusive, David Jacques - he knows where to travel. He must be beer parlor material, I am thankful I caught up with he and Jason in the early morning rain.

I sensed that John Prine was changing up the set list. I noticed two times; whereby John would walk to Jason, nod at David and then viola it is Illegal Smile. A most appropriate song for my Province of British Columbia. Our bud industry is secure - first and foremost - it outshines the forest/mining industry.

There were nice folks I met along the way into Prine. The couple Mr. & Mrs. FDE who thought I was part of the huge bus program. Nancy and Paul from Penticton, B.C. The fellow in the elevator who informed me it was Jayzee night to which I had not one iota of understanding. Geez, I replied to him Jay Zed - it's Canada we do not say zee - it is zed. It breezed along over his head. I recalled a song by Jesse Winchester - I think, It Ain't Nothin' But A Breeze.

I met a few folks in the elevator; one young lad thought I was Fiona. (okay, yep I am a stunning picture of Fiona) *giggle, giggle*

As with any trip, there are bumps along the road. To my amazement, I am so close to the ground and very flexible, I can pick them unwanted rocks - move them aside - and proceed.

Last but by no means least, in the early morning hours of Friday - I was down streetside with a coffee in hand and smoking my morning cigarette. I noticed this fine looking gentleman, strolling down the street kind of like a Lucky Larue. I checked my streets signs to be certain I am not on Lucky Road, I scan the night clerk (where are my 2 x 4's, my flingers, I need to hit myself in the head...)

I looked at him and he looked at me and that's they way that the world go round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...