Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wildlife and Topless Ladies

It amazes me how a person can survive here, it amazes me that I survive here. Here - is rural British Columbia - very rural British Columbia. We do have power and running water, we have a well. We have neighbors - nice neighbors down the road. The neighbor closest to us is wild like the wildlife that we see in our backyard. We have many wild animals that we live with - deer, eagles, moose, a variety of birds, foxes, and the occasional bear. Our dear human neighbor does not come close to the kindness I have seen in the wild animals' eyes. When you look into the eyes of an animal in the wild, it is peace. I do the best I can to share with them - they were here on this land - first - not me.

I talk to the animals, I make friends with them. My favorite is the fox - we chat all the time. The deer are next, I sing John Prine to them; all the animals know my voice. I have not been afraid of the animals while in nature, but animals, contained, yikes!

One day last summer I was outside weeding ~ you know that feeling when something is staring at you - yep, it was staring at me. A huge Bull. I had heard that you must be careful around Bulls, do not yell too loud or they might charge, so I pasted myself up against the woodshed and slid myself over to the sundeck, then, I ran! Ran into the house and got Gary, my husband.

He saw the bull, tried to chase it, it did not move, it stared. We left and went inside and in time, the bull left peacefully. The cattle are 'free range' here, thus meaning in May the cattle ranchers let them out and at the end of September they bring them on home. I have had several occasions whereby the cattle come in and rove on our property. Their piles are somewhat to be desired, they will trample any garden/flower bed you have and have been noted to block traffic better than that of any topless ladies, you have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...