Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tribute To A Dog


Today, marks six years since my dog, Yankee went on to dog heaven.  I miss him very much, I love him dearly.  He was very special to me.

Yankee was born epileptic; at eight months he was put on medication and the only time he would have a seizure was on Halloween.  He could not stand the fireworks, the blasting noise.  Yankee love to sing with me, his favorite song was Happy Birthday.  We would sing that all the time, you could see the love in his big brown eyes. 

We had Yankee for 15 years.  I knew Yankee could not go on much longer.  He was having difficulty getting up, his hips were not like they once were and his had quite a time just breathing. 

Every Sunday, I would say to my honey do, Do - it is Sunday, I love you twice - I will always love you twice on Sundays.  I still say that on Sundays. 

Yankee had a million nick names - Do, Honey Bunny, My Little Boy - we also had our own language.  I recall one day when I was blow drying my hair, Yankee was in the bathroom with me and of course, we were singing Happy Birthday.  I was not paying any attention to my hair, I was busy singing.  I looked up to the mirror and lord have mercy, I have wrapped my hair so tight around the brush, it isn't coming undone.  I left the blow dryer and went downstairs to Noisemaker.  Oh Noisemaker, look what I have done!  He just shook his head.  We tried to get the brush out, to no avail.  I called the hairdresser and explained my situation.  She said to come on in, she would remove the brush.  Alas, all was well.

The photo is of a wooden box which contains Yankee's stuffola.  Noisemaker made it.  The white urn contains Yankee's ashes, he is surrounded by bunnies.  He will always be my honey bunny.

Love you Yankee, we will meet again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...