Monday, October 26, 2009

T. C. Douglas

I do not know if it is because my Dad past away in October or what but for a few days now I have been thinking of Tommy Douglas. Tommy Douglas was my Dad's hero, he had a strong belief in him.

Tommy Clement Douglas was born in Falkirk, Scotland on October 20th, 1904 and left our world in 1986. His family came to Winnipeg in 1910. Mr. Douglas was a Member of Parliament from 1935-1940. Premier of Saskatchewan 1944-1961 and again a Member of Parliament 1962-1979.

One of his famous quotes:

"Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man this would be paradise".

T.C. Douglas was instrumental in instituting medicare for Canada. He assisted in the formation of the CCF Party (Co-operative Commonwealth Federation), which later would become the New Democratic Party.

The photo you are viewing is courtesy of The Douglas/Caldwell Foundation. See more here:
http://www.dcf.ca/en/tommy_douglas.htm

Each time I go to visit my Mom and Dad's gravesite I like to take some small gift, a token. I was planning a trip up north and decided to contact the Foundation to see if they had a photo of TC Douglas. I explained why I wanted it and they sent me the photo you see. I took the photo and placed it on the small pine tree we planted for our Mom and Dad.

My Dad and Mom were very proud - had a few giggles too. Y

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...