Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dumplings

For anyone that has tried to make dumplings- try again.  There are certainly secrets to embrace a rib sticking dumpling.

Shortening - yes.  I did not have any so I use bacon fat - we are not on a diet here.

The recipe states cook uncovered for 10 minutes - cover for 10 minutes - do not lift lid.  DON'T - they will fall to the bottom.  Only drop by tablespoon size - any larger will sink like the Titanic. 

Only make dumplings tablespoon size.  Make certain you place the dumpling upon the vegetables or meat that is near boiling point in your soup/stew.  Do not plunge them into liquid - depths unknown.  They burst!

I have tried for years to cook a dumpling like my Mom did - to no avail.  Yesterday, I achieved.  Good grief, I was so very proud of myself.  I remembered my Mom -I might have became her shining dumpling.

I love you Mom - thank you for the teachings.  Much love for you, always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Prine Drawing

John Prine as drawn by my great nephew, Brayden. Ain't it cool.  Talented young man he is, 14 years old, and loves to draw. B...